Friday, December 17, 2010

When I Wake Up, Will You Play a Game With Me?

For the past week or so my 3yro has been making a request of me at every bedtime, nap or night.  She looks at me and asks, "When I wake up, will you play a game with me?"  So sweet, and yet there is something about it that pierces my heart every time she says it.  I began to think it through a bit, and I believe I'm starting to understand the root of my uneasiness.

A few years back I had less children, younger children.  I made more time to play games with them, sit and read picture books with them, color with them.  But now, I seem to be caught up in a whirlwind of activity.  Homeschooling has progressed past the early elementary years for some of my girls, and I have seemed to progress with them.  But Caroline is still 3 years old.  She still needs color time, reading time, playful pretend time.  I'm so thankful that she is the kind of girl to come grab my hand and say, "Come on Mama, let's go ..."

I'm afraid if she wasn't much of a squeaky wheel that she wouldn't get much grease.  In my mind, I've moved on past the baby/toddler years.  I'm getting into the pre-teen years, as I follow my oldest along.  I know that laying the foundation with the oldest makes for a smoother path for the rest, but I have caught myself  being less careful about my youngest's training and development. I've been asking the older girls to do a good portion of her care recently.  I think this is helpful in their development of skills, but I have to be careful not to use that as an excuse to be lazy either.

So yesterday, I played pretend with her, even though I was cooking and overseeing the homeschool day.  I stopped  to be her horse and carry her around.  Before she went down for a nap, we played a board game together, with the promise of a re-match when she got up.  We looked at a picture book, and we tied strings...heart strings.  Whenever I find that my training has reached a wall, or an incredibly steep incline, I have to stop and remember to tie some heart strings.

I have noticed over the years that when I really invest time in my child's life, that we grow closer, develop bonds that I like to call "heart strings".  (I got this from Michael and Debi Pearl and the No Greater Joy ministry.)  It goes without saying, that the more strings attached, the stronger the bond between us.  When that bond is strong, it can withstand the strain of discipline and character training more gracefully than when there are few strings to keep hearts close.

So today, I hope I remember to take time in the midst of MY busy-ness to tie those strings... (right now, as I type, the 3 yro is the first up and on my lap, helping me push the keys...it takes longer, but at least we are doing it together...and she is learning her alphabet too. :)  )

3 comments:

  1. So true. Oftentimes after I put them to bed, I realized I read no books to the under 5 crowd...something that would have been unthinkable in the early years. Love this quote "Whenever I find that my training has reached a wall, or an incredibly steep incline, I have to stop and remember to tie some heart strings". Maybe that is what I am missing with my oldest. Thanks...Celia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to play Ring the Word with Hannah when she was little; when Hannah would have a hard time finding the word I would help her with the first letter, but make her find the whole word. With most of the others I colored with them. We would put the book between us and both of us worked on a page; coloring our own page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, thank you, thank, you. You touched my heart, you made me cry. You helped me remember...

    ReplyDelete