Monday, November 22, 2010

Finding My Stride

  It's been one of  those Mondays where I can't seem to find my stride.  Always arriving a moment too late to prevent the latest disaster, or to keep someone's fingers from getting pinched.  It's easier now that most of the girls are old enough to watch out for themselves.  However, for that same reason I am often caught off guard when it comes to darling number 5.   
    A few cups of tea later and my mind still feels sluggish.  I find in these moments, that I tend to wish away my present circumstance, thinking of relaxing and finding a moment to entertain myself.  And then I feel the sudden squeeze around my leg.  I look down to see Caroline's body wrapped tight around mine, and her face looking upward, with lips puckered, ready to give me a sloppy 3 year old kiss. "I love you , Mama!" She says in her pre-school voice.  Translation: "Don't blink Mama, this will be gone before you know it, "  I remind myself of this as my witty Emma strides through the house on her way outside to "wander".    
   I would like to pause a moment to explain the family term "wander".  My eldest Pearl, is a bit of a wood nymph, or "wellet", as we say.  Emma loves to go outside and wander among nature while singing or inventing stories or going over the latest three books she read the day before.  She is quickly changing into a new creature, and it is a joy to see her handle this time in her life. 
    I don't want to miss anything, but I know I won't catch it all.  Each of my Pearls are an incredible blessing to me and Ryan.  These are what I like to call the "working years".  The foundation is being laid, and the crops must be tireless tended and nurtured.  When I grow weary of the daily grind, I like to remember that the harvest will be more fruitful for the investment I put in today.    
   The rest of my day will be wrapped up in "Old Maid", bruised knees, and dancing.  We all must work, and even though I am tired today, I still think I struck the lottery with my life, family,  and calling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment