Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Letters to Help Pass the Time

  Ryan and I have just returned from our yearly trips to Savannah.  Although the trips are somewhat business related, they are always a good time for the two of us to get away and enjoy a little adult time.  My in-laws have graciously taken care of our kids during these trips.   As you can imagine there is a considerable amount of planning that goes into organizing this great exodus to the grandparent's house. 
  As the girls have matured, I have been able to assign them certain duties to ease the load off of Nana.  (It's no small thing to send five girls to someone's home to care for them, and I have no intention of wearing my welcome out there!)  For example, the second oldest has been in charge of handing out all the vitamins for the past two trips. This year the oldest has been gracious enough to take on the 3 yro; dressing her, and putting her to bed, and intercepting any night-time needs.  These girls are such blessings to us in the way they serve the family.
   This year the 6yro took on a very special duty.  She was in charge of handing out the letters.  I'm not exactly sure when this tradition started, but somewhere along the line we started writing EACH of the girls a letter for EACH of the days we are gone.  So for those of you less inclined to mathematics, a trip of four days in length, means 20 letters that Ryan and I write for the girls to open.  The 6 yro was so pleased to have this responsibility, and she performed it exceptionally well, so I am told.
  I love writing the letters, even though I tend to wait until the last minute, and suffer from writer's cramp for the first few hours of the trip.  They help me to think outside of my self and remember the activities that the girls will be participating in while we are away.  Additionally, they are great ways to remind them to look for ways to serve their grandparents, instead of just basking in the lap of luxury the whole time.
  Recently, the letters have taken flight and Ryan and I have walked away with letters of our own from our oldest girls to open everyday of our trip.  Our second oldest has taken a shine to the fun of surprising us with them.  Her clever wit and attention to detail have come to the surface in these letters, and we enjoy this new medium of communicating with her.
  Just another peak into the strange ways of the Zwemkes.  We find the letters have helped the younger children to handle the time apart more peaceably.  I would love to hear of traditions that others have during times of separation. 
 

 

1 comment:

  1. I don't think it is strange at all. I love it. What a great idea. Kim

    ReplyDelete